Backward compatibility for openSSL letter releases (openSSL 1.0.2 x)

Backward compatibility for openSSL letter releases (openSSL 1.0.2 x)

Satish Lvr
Hi All,

Can we assume that backward compatibility would be maintained between letter releases of a version such as openSSL 1.0.2 (Eg: between openSSL 1.0.2a and openSSL 1.0.2p) unless there is security bug fix ?

Regards
Satish.

Re: Backward compatibility for openSSL letter releases (openSSL 1.0.2 x)

Michael Richardson

Satish Lvr <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > Can we assume that backward compatibility would be maintained between letter
    > releases of a version such as openSSL 1.0.2 (Eg: between openSSL 1.0.2a and
    > openSSL 1.0.2p) unless there is security bug fix ?

If one breaks backward (ABI) compatibility for a security bug fix, then
the old code needs to be recompiled, so you can't fix the bug with an update to
the .so.

Re: Backward compatibility for openSSL letter releases (openSSL 1.0.2 x)

Satish Lvr
I am fine with recompilation. My question is more related to same functional behavior between versions (say from 1.0.2a to 1.0.2b ..... 1.0.2p) unless it is related to some security fix which breaks the old behavior.

On 09/10/18 10:43, Satish Lvr wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can we assume that backward compatibility would be maintained between
> letter releases of a version such as openSSL 1.0.2 (Eg: between openSSL
> 1.0.2a and openSSL 1.0.2p) unless there is security bug fix ?

The OpenSSL policy on this is here (first para):

https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

Letter releases are backwards ABI and API compatible. There should be no
need to recompile your application to update to a later letter release.

Re: Backward compatibility for openSSL letter releases (openSSL 1.0.2 x)

Dustin Albright
Hey I tried I didn't know what was up