Backporting KTLS to 1.1.1

John Baldwin
I've recently been working on adding support for kernel TLS offload
to FreeBSD and have some patches merged into master already along
with a couple of open reviews (and at least one other patchset in
progress).

With the recent-ish announcement of 3.0's release being delayed,
I'm curious if OpenSSL would consider accepting patches to backport
KTLS to 1.1.1 or if that is too large a feature to consider
backporting?  (I'm not really familiar with OpenSSL's norms in
terms of what gets merged.)  I will probably end up doing the work
no matter what and if "it depends" is the answer then I can come
up with a candidate patch series.

John Baldwin

Re: Backporting KTLS to 1.1.1

Matt Caswell-2

On 13/12/2019 23:52, John Baldwin wrote:

> I've recently been working on adding support for kernel TLS offload
> to FreeBSD and have some patches merged into master already along
> with a couple of open reviews (and at least one other patchset in
> progress).
>
> With the recent-ish announcement of 3.0's release being delayed,
> I'm curious if OpenSSL would consider accepting patches to backport
> KTLS to 1.1.1 or if that is too large a feature to consider
> backporting?  (I'm not really familiar with OpenSSL's norms in
> terms of what gets merged.)  I will probably end up doing the work
> no matter what and if "it depends" is the answer then I can come
> up with a candidate patch series.

Unfortunately, we do not allow new features in stable branches so we
could not accept such a backport.

Re: Backporting KTLS to 1.1.1

John Baldwin
On 12/14/19 2:09 AM, Matt Caswell wrote:

> On 13/12/2019 23:52, John Baldwin wrote:
>> I've recently been working on adding support for kernel TLS offload
>> to FreeBSD and have some patches merged into master already along
>> with a couple of open reviews (and at least one other patchset in
>> progress).
>>
>> With the recent-ish announcement of 3.0's release being delayed,
>> I'm curious if OpenSSL would consider accepting patches to backport
>> KTLS to 1.1.1 or if that is too large a feature to consider
>> backporting?  (I'm not really familiar with OpenSSL's norms in
>> terms of what gets merged.)  I will probably end up doing the work
>> no matter what and if "it depends" is the answer then I can come
>> up with a candidate patch series.
>>

> Unfortunately, we do not allow new features in stable branches so we
> could not accept such a backport.

No problem.  That was my guess, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask
just in case.

--
John Baldwin