Adding compression to SSL communication

Neil Humphreys
Hi
I am developing a client and a server, that communicate over SSL. I would like the client to be able to send data to the server using compression. I would like to set this up at the bio level, so it is seamless (client compresses data, client encypts data, server decrypts data, server uncompresses data, but the user just as to provide the data). Has anyone got any advice / tips / example code ? Has anyone got SSL_COMP_add_compression_method() working? (or is there a better way?)

thanks,

Neil Humphreys

Re: Adding compression to SSL communication

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005, Neil Humphreys wrote:

> Hi I am developing a client and a server, that communicate over SSL. I would
> like the client to be able to send data to the server using compression. I
> would like to set this up at the bio level, so it is seamless (client
> compresses data, client encypts data, server decrypts data, server
> uncompresses data, but the user just as to provide the data). Has anyone got
> any advice / tips / example code ? Has anyone got
> SSL_COMP_add_compression_method() working? (or is there a better way?)

You just need to compile OpenSSL with the appropriate options such as
zlib-dynamic and it should automatically negotiate compression in the ssl
library. The only restriction is that you cannot use SSLv2. You can test this
using the command line s_server and s_client utilities.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.