AES documentation?

Chris-35
Is there any documentation covering the AES support in OpenSSL?  I can't find anything.  There seems to be no manual entry or anything under docs.

I do have it working but I'm wondering how to change the block size (seems to always use 128 bits by default?) and what the difference between AES_encrypt and AES_<mode>_encrypt is.   Does AES_encrypt use ECB, CBC, or what by default?

Thanks

Re: AES documentation?

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Sat, Feb 25, 2006, Chris wrote:

> Is there any documentation covering the AES support in OpenSSL?  I can't
> find anything.  There seems to be no manual entry or anything under docs.

The preferred interface to all ciphers is EVP.

> I do have it working but I'm wondering how to change the block size (seems
> to always use 128 bits by default?) and what the difference between
> AES_encrypt and AES_<mode>_encrypt is.   Does AES_encrypt use ECB, CBC, or
> what by default?

128 bits is fixed by for AES.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

Re: AES documentation?

Chris-35
On 2/25/06, Dr. Stephen Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:
The preferred interface to all ciphers is EVP.

The reason I am not using the EVP interface was to save space.  Currently OpenSSL is already making my end product way too large so I'm trying to minimize the code dependancies.

128 bits is fixed by for AES.

I assume you mean the AES implementation strictly follows FIPS-197 because Rijndael itself certainly allows for varying the block size.

Thanks