1.1 release being delayed

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1.1 release being delayed

Salz, Rich
... in case you haven't noticed :)  Our announced release date for 1.1 has come and gone.

We want to close many more bugs before we release it.  In the meantime, please test against master or a daily snapshot or the last beta release.

Thanks for your patience!


--  
Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
IM: [hidden email] Twitter: RichSalz


--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openssl-users] 1.1 release being delayed

The Doctor
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 01:15:45PM +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
> ... in case you haven't noticed :)  Our announced release date for 1.1 has come and gone.
>
> We want to close many more bugs before we release it.  In the meantime, please test against master or a daily snapshot or the last beta release.
>
> Thanks for your patience!
>

No problem and hopefully for app developers will come on board.
 
>
> --  
> Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
> IM: [hidden email] Twitter: RichSalz
>
>
> --
> openssl-users mailing list
> To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca
God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising!
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Abuse a man unjustly, and you will make friends for him.  -Edgar Watson Howe
--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.1 release being delayed

Nikhil Agarwal-2
In reply to this post by Salz, Rich
When it is expected to release now?

Regards
Nikhil

-----Original Message-----
From: openssl-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Salz, Rich
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 6:46 PM
To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: [openssl-dev] 1.1 release being delayed

... in case you haven't noticed :)  Our announced release date for 1.1 has come and gone.

We want to close many more bugs before we release it.  In the meantime, please test against master or a daily snapshot or the last beta release.

Thanks for your patience!


--  
Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
IM: [hidden email] Twitter: RichSalz


--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.1 release being delayed

Jouni Malinen-4
In reply to this post by Salz, Rich
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 01:15:45PM +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
> ... in case you haven't noticed :)  Our announced release date for 1.1 has come and gone.
>
> We want to close many more bugs before we release it.  In the meantime, please test against master or a daily snapshot or the last beta release.

It has now been a month from this announcement and there does not seem
to be any updates to the release strategy (*) which is still claiming
the "current plan" to be to release 1.1.0 12th May 2016.. While it is
obviously fine to push out the release to get more fixes in, it would be
nice to get some more details on the updated release plan and especially
on whether there is going to be another beta release ("beta 3?") before
the public release.

I'd like to make sure I run my tests against a snapshot that is close to
the release to check for any late regressions. However, I don't want to
be doing this on daily basis until some unknown point in time. Would it
be possible to either make the beta 3 release before the actual 1.1.0
public release or alternatively, provide some kind of early warning
couple of weeks before the public release so that it would be easier to
check for last minute regressions?

And as far as regressions after beta 2 release are concerned, it looks
like there was a change in the API that is not backwards compatible. I
was hoping this would not happen after the "Beta 2 - Opaque work
complete". Did I misunderstand what that note means?

The non-compatible change (this actually broke wpa_supplicant build..)
is this one:

commit fd809cfdbd6e32b6b67b68c59f6d55fbed7a9327
    Constify the parameter getters for RSA, DSA and DH

-void DH_get0_key(const DH *dh, BIGNUM **pub_key, BIGNUM **priv_key)
+void DH_get0_key(const DH *dh, const BIGNUM **pub_key, const BIGNUM **priv_key)


Is there a clear point in time after which the OpenSSL 1.1.0 API is
expected to be fully frozen for the release (well, other than the final
public release showing up)?


(*) https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html
 
--
Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id EFC895FA
--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.1 release being delayed

Matt Caswell-2


On 24/06/16 22:28, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 01:15:45PM +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
>> ... in case you haven't noticed :)  Our announced release date for 1.1 has come and gone.
>>
>> We want to close many more bugs before we release it.  In the meantime, please test against master or a daily snapshot or the last beta release.
>
> It has now been a month from this announcement and there does not seem
> to be any updates to the release strategy (*) which is still claiming
> the "current plan" to be to release 1.1.0 12th May 2016.. While it is
> obviously fine to push out the release to get more fixes in, it would be
> nice to get some more details on the updated release plan and especially
> on whether there is going to be another beta release ("beta 3?") before
> the public release.

The current thinking is Thursday 7th July, although that is not set in
stone as it depends on what happens between now and then. We don't
currently have any plans for a beta 3, although again that could change.

>
> I'd like to make sure I run my tests against a snapshot that is close to
> the release to check for any late regressions. However, I don't want to
> be doing this on daily basis until some unknown point in time. Would it
> be possible to either make the beta 3 release before the actual 1.1.0
> public release or alternatively, provide some kind of early warning
> couple of weeks before the public release so that it would be easier to
> check for last minute regressions?
>
> And as far as regressions after beta 2 release are concerned, it looks
> like there was a change in the API that is not backwards compatible. I
> was hoping this would not happen after the "Beta 2 - Opaque work
> complete". Did I misunderstand what that note means?
>
> The non-compatible change (this actually broke wpa_supplicant build..)
> is this one:
>
> commit fd809cfdbd6e32b6b67b68c59f6d55fbed7a9327
>     Constify the parameter getters for RSA, DSA and DH
>
> -void DH_get0_key(const DH *dh, BIGNUM **pub_key, BIGNUM **priv_key)
> +void DH_get0_key(const DH *dh, const BIGNUM **pub_key, const BIGNUM **priv_key)
>
>
> Is there a clear point in time after which the OpenSSL 1.1.0 API is
> expected to be fully frozen for the release (well, other than the final
> public release showing up)?
>

We are not planning any more opaque work before release, and are trying
to avoid API breaks at this late stage - but we can't fully rule it out
either.

Matt



>
> (*) https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html
>  
>
--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.1 release being delayed

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre
> > And as far as regressions after beta 2 release are concerned, it looks

> > like there was a change in the API that is not backwards compatible. I
> > was hoping this would not happen after the "Beta 2 - Opaque work
> > complete". Did I misunderstand what that note means?
> >
> > The non-compatible change (this actually broke wpa_supplicant build..)
> > is this one:
> >
> > commit fd809cfdbd6e32b6b67b68c59f6d55fbed7a9327
> >     Constify the parameter getters for RSA, DSA and DH
> >
> > -void DH_get0_key(const DH *dh, BIGNUM **pub_key, BIGNUM **priv_key)
> > +void DH_get0_key(const DH *dh, const BIGNUM **pub_key, const BIGNUM **priv_key)
> >
> >
> > Is there a clear point in time after which the OpenSSL 1.1.0 API is
> > expected to be fully frozen for the release (well, other than the final
> > public release showing up)?
> >
>
> We are not planning any more opaque work before release, and are trying
> to avoid API breaks at this late stage - but we can't fully rule it out
> either.
>
> Matt

+1 for the change. IMHO, the constification is a bug fix of the api, not a
deliberate change. Having a const-incorrect api is always a nuisance and it
is better to have it fixed now than after the final elease.

Matthias


--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.1 release being delayed

Christian Hägele
In reply to this post by Matt Caswell-2
Am 25.06.2016, 00:27 Uhr, schrieb Matt Caswell <[hidden email]>:

> The current thinking is Thursday 7th July, although that is not set in
> stone as it depends on what happens between now and then. We don't
> currently have any plans for a beta 3, although again that could change.

7th of July was 2 weeks ago.
Are there any news on the updated release-plans? I did not find any  
updated information on this.

Regards,

Christian

--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1.1 release being delayed

Matt Caswell-2


On 21/07/16 09:56, Christian Hägele wrote:
> Am 25.06.2016, 00:27 Uhr, schrieb Matt Caswell <[hidden email]>:
>
>> The current thinking is Thursday 7th July, although that is not set in
>> stone as it depends on what happens between now and then. We don't
>> currently have any plans for a beta 3, although again that could change.
>
> 7th of July was 2 weeks ago.
> Are there any news on the updated release-plans? I did not find any
> updated information on this.

We still have a number of issues that need to be resolved before we can
release. We don't yet have a new date agreed. The best I can offer at
the moment is "August". We're all working hard to try and bring it in as
soon as possible.

Matt

--
openssl-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-dev