1.1.0 Failed to Compile using Visual Studio 6 and SDK 2003 SP1

1.1.0 Failed to Compile using Visual Studio 6 and SDK 2003 SP1

Mauricio Rodriguez
Hello,

I have been able to compile 1.1.0 with no issues using just about all versions of VStudio .NET2003/2005/2008/2010. So, all good there. However, the compilation process using Visual studio 6 has not been smooth and still fails. Here is the environment I am using:

  • CL.exe - Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8804 for 80x86 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.
  • Windows Server 2003 SP1 SDK
  • My desktop is running Windows 8 Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
I have been modifying 'a bit' a few of the source files and makefile to make it work. Simple things as compiler not recognizing certain macros such the declaration of the 'long long' variable using LL, which I had to switch to i64 (see 2 lines below)

//static const int64_t kBottom25Bits = 0x1ffffffLL;              // original line
static const int64_t kBottom25Bits = 0x1ffffffi64;            //   it now compiles using Visual Studio 6 compiler

I was able to compile the core programs but now getting lots of errors while compiling the 'test programs', so I wanted to post this message to see if this is due to the environment I am using and/or user error or if there is a real issue somewhere. Most of the issues while compiling the test programs are linked to missing data types while using the #define statements in the source code - which there are hundreds of them. Since I just registered to gain access to this group and this is my first post, I'll wait to see if someone wants additional (specific details) about my project. I can then send make file and specific errors during compilation.

Thank you very much for anyone replying to my email.

Mauricio

Re: 1.1.0 Failed to Compile using Visual Studio 6 and SDK 2003 SP1

Benjamin Kaduk
On 09/12/2016 10:57 AM, Mauricio Rodriguez wrote:
Hello,

I have been able to compile 1.1.0 with no issues using just about all versions of VStudio .NET2003/2005/2008/2010. So, all good there. However, the compilation process using Visual studio 6 has not been smooth and still fails. Here is the environment I am using:

I cannot speak for the project, but Visual Studio 6.0 seems sufficiently old that I would not expect it to be a supported toolchain.

-Ben

Re: 1.1.0 Failed to Compile using Visual Studio 6 and SDK 2003 SP1

Mauricio Rodriguez
Ben,

Thanks for your prompt answer. I was thinking the same... but was hoping someone had been able to compile and give me some ideas...

I'll wait for additional feedback - hoping for the impossible. We should not be using 20 year compiler to do this - agree...

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/12/2016 10:57 AM, Mauricio Rodriguez wrote:
Hello,

I have been able to compile 1.1.0 with no issues using just about all versions of VStudio .NET2003/2005/2008/2010. So, all good there. However, the compilation process using Visual studio 6 has not been smooth and still fails. Here is the environment I am using:

I cannot speak for the project, but Visual Studio 6.0 seems sufficiently old that I would not expect it to be a supported toolchain.

-Ben

Re: 1.1.0 Failed to Compile using Visual Studio 6 and SDK 2003 SP1

Salz, Rich

> I cannot speak for the project, but Visual Studio 6.0 seems sufficiently old that I would not expect it to be a supported toolchain.

Yeah, wow, 1998?

Not supported.

Re: 1.1.0 Failed to Compile using Visual Studio 6 and SDK 2003 SP1

Jakob Bohm-7
On 12/09/2016 21:11, Salz, Rich wrote:
>> I cannot speak for the project, but Visual Studio 6.0 seems sufficiently old that I would not expect it to be a supported toolchain.
> Yeah, wow, 1998?
>
> Not supported.
VC 6.0 was the official Microsoft compiler until the release
of Visual Studio.NET 2002.  During that long run, a number of
public and private projects standardized on that compiler,
similar to how many open source projects standardized on GCC
2.95 .

VC 6.0 was also a rather reliable and stable compiler, making
it the choice for stability over some of its closest successors.

But yeah, it is mostly historic now.

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: 1.1.0 Failed to Compile using Visual Studio 6 and SDK 2003 SP1

Mauricio Rodriguez
Jakob,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I think it makes sense to use something more modern with more support and more users.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Mauricio

Sent from my Ipad.... Ignore any typos