0.9.8: simple engine call causes loop

shpedoikal (Bugzilla)
Hi,

 Calling ENGINE_by_id("anything") before making any other calls to
OpenSSL seems to cause infinite recursion in trying to load the
dynamic engine.  I believe adding a call to ENGINE_load_dynamic()
before attempting to load the dynamic engine inside ENGINE_by_id()
will fix the problem.

Thanks,
Kent

Re: 0.9.8: simple engine call causes loop

Nils Larsch
Kent Yoder wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Calling ENGINE_by_id("anything") before making any other calls to
> OpenSSL seems to cause infinite recursion in trying to load the
> dynamic engine.  I believe adding a call to ENGINE_load_dynamic()
> before attempting to load the dynamic engine inside ENGINE_by_id()
> will fix the problem.

sounds similar to [1]. Could you try a recent snapshot.

Cheers,
Nils

Re: 0.9.8: simple engine call causes loop

shpedoikal (Bugzilla)
Thanks, its fixed in the latest snapshot.

Kent

On 9/27/05, Nils Larsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kent Yoder wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Calling ENGINE_by_id("anything") before making any other calls to
> > OpenSSL seems to cause infinite recursion in trying to load the
> > dynamic engine.  I believe adding a call to ENGINE_load_dynamic()
> > before attempting to load the dynamic engine inside ENGINE_by_id()
> > will fix the problem.
>
> sounds similar to [1]. Could you try a recent snapshot.
>
> Cheers,
> Nils
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112295620300002&r=1&w=2

Re: 0.9.8: simple engine call causes loop

shpedoikal (Bugzilla)
One concern here...  The solution as it is in the latest snapshot will
require apps to always call ENGINE_load_builtin_engines() before a
call to ENGINE_by_id(ID), even if ID is a shared object engine.  Is
this the desired behavior?  It may not be obvious to app writers that
the builtin dynamic engine is used to load .so engines...

Thanks for the help,
Kent

Kent Yoder wrote:
> One concern here...  The solution as it is in the latest snapshot will
> require apps to always call ENGINE_load_builtin_engines() before a

ENGINE_load_dynamic() should be sufficient

> call to ENGINE_by_id(ID), even if ID is a shared object engine.  Is
> this the desired behavior?

well that is how it's currently implemented

> It may not be obvious to app writers that
> the builtin dynamic engine is used to load .so engines...

ack, this behaviour should be well documented

Nils